The Clerk is responsible for all Administrative functions in the Village of Melrose. These include:
- Municipal Licenses
- Dog Licenses (link to form)
- Building Permits (link to form)
- Alcohol and Tobacco Licenses
- Alcohol Operator’s License (link to form)
- Alcohol Retail License Application (link to form)
- Tobacco Retail License Application (link to form)
- Voter Registration and Elections
- Voter Registration (link to form)
- Absentee Ballot Request (link to form)
- Village Caucus Administration
- Board Nomination Paperwork (link to form)
- Park Reservations
- Recreation Park and Tank Park Shelter Rental (link to form)
- Pool Rental (link to form)
- Manages picnic table loan program (link to form)
- Schedules Use of the Village Hall
- Executive Secretary at all Board Meetings
- Publishes all Board Agendas, Meeting Minutes, and Notices
The Village Treasurer performs all Village financial functions. Duties include the following:
- Operating Capital and Budget Preparations
- Management of Accounts payable and receivable
- Investment of Village funds
- Debt administration
- Water/Sewer billing and collections
- Property Tax billing and collections
- Receipt of Swimming Pool Donations
Part-time Position. The Clerk position is a part-time position. See the Home page for the Clerk’s Office Hours. You may also contact the Clerk to arrange an appointment if these hours do not fit your schedule.
Dog Licenses. If you have a dog residing in your household, it must have a Village Dog License covering the current calendar year. Renewal reminders are sent out in December with property owner taxes, but it is ultimately the responsibility of the pet owner to purchase a license each year. Licenses may be purchased by mail or in person. To obtain a license, you must provide:
- Completed dog license application (link to form)
- Full payment ($3.00 for spayed dogs, $8.00 for non-spayed dogs). Dog licenses are not pro-rated for the calendar year.
- A paper copy of proof of a current rabies vaccination.
Alcohol Licenses. Retail and Operator alcohol/tobacco licenses must be renewed on or before June 30th of each calendar year. Remember, the Village Board must approve all licenses so plan accordingly based on the Board Meeting schedule. To obtain additional information, contact the Clerk.
Building Permits. Building permit applications may be obtained from the Clerk or downloaded from this website. A diagram of the proposed construction must accompany all building permit applications. Remember, the Village Board or a Building Committee member must sign off on your application before a permit can be issued.
Elections. All Federal, State-wide, and Municipal Elections are held at the Village Hall, 112 N. Washington Street in Melrose. Contact the Clerk for information regarding registration, nomination, and election dates.
Village Hall. The Village Hall is available to host meetings for Village civic groups. To reserve the Hall, contact the Clerk and provide date, time and proposed usage. The Clerk will arrange opening and closing instructions. As a reminder, Village Board Business will take precedence over all other meetings.
Park and Pool Reservations. The Park and Pool reservation calendar are maintained by the Clerk. To reserve the pool or the shelter, fill out the attached form (link to form) and provide payment to the Clerk. For convenience, reservations may also be made at the pool with the Parks/Recreation Director.
Publication. For information regarding meeting agendas, meeting notices, meeting minutes you can check the following outlets:
- This website
- Paper Copies of all notices are posted at the following locations:
- Black River Country Bank
- L&M Café
- CO-OP Credit Union
- Village Hall Front Window
- Jackson County Chronicle: http://lacrossetribune.com/jacksoncochronicle/
The Treasurer position is a part-time position. See the Home page for the Treasurer’s Office Hours. You may also contact the Treasurer to arrange an appointment if these hours do not fit your schedule.
Accounts Payable. The Treasurer pays bills twice monthly; however, the Village Board must approve all expenditures. To ensure prompt payment, be sure to send statements to the Village Treasurer the week prior to the monthly Village Board Meeting. The Board meets the first Wednesday of each month.
Water/Sewer Billing and Collections. Water/sewer bills are sent out on a monthly basis... generally during the first week of each month. Bills may be paid by check, money order or in cash. The Village has a convenient drop box that is emptied several times each day for those paying when the Treasurer is not in the office. Bills received after the stated due date are assessed an additional 3% monthly surcharge.
Property Tax Billing and Collections. Property tax bills are sent out annually in the month of December to Village residents and business owners. The Village Treasurer will collect all payments in full or first installment payments through the 31st of January each year. Beginning on February 1st, payments in full and/or second installment payments must be made directly to the Jackson County Treasurer.
Annual Audit. Village books are audited on an annual basis by Engelson and Associates, Ltd 3317 Mormon Coulee Road, La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601.